Question:

From Montana, US:

I am a librarian and recently a staff member requested the prognosis for juvenile Diabetes for a child 12 or 13 years old. Her question is: "What is the life expectancy of this child if treated properly?" Statistics would be helpful. I've looked around and haven't found a lot of stuff.

Answer:

Overall, the prognosis for a child with IDDM, treated "properly" according to current treatment regimens, is excellent. Unfortunately, all the published data on life expectancy (that I am aware of) is based on outmoded treatment regimens.

I wouldn't expect to find any useful and current data in the literature; the closest would be extrapolations from the DCCT study, which looked at complication rates (but not at overall mortality) in Type 1 patients.

Based on my personal observations, my guess is that the anticipated life expectancy of a 12 year-old with IDDM should be just slightly shortened (based on the logic that diseases of middle-age like heart disease occur at an earlier age in people with diabetes, and we haven't yet conquered this complication, and based on the remote risks of hypoglycemia causing life-threatening accidents).

WWQ