Question:

From Mexico:

I have questions about my son's A1C results. He is 16, diagnosed at age 7, doing well according to his pediatric endocrinologist but I am concerned that his readings on the test which we do every 3 months are always higher than the range reported for the test. If the reported range is 4-8 he will be at 9, just to give you a general picture. The doctor says this is nothing to worry about. He has had no physical complications. He tests on the average twice a day and those readings also vary considerably. He does have hypoglycemia occasionally quite severe in the nighttime.

I worry about long term effects of all this. Can you enlighten me or let me know if all this variation is within normal practice especially with a teenager? We live in Mexico and I worry that he is not getting as good care as I would like to provide him with but I have no way of knowing aside from Diabetes Forecast magazine and my recent discovery of this section of the web.

Answer:

People with diabetes typically have A1C readings higher than non-diabetics. And a reading one point higher than the non-diabetic upper limit is pretty good.

The blood sugar readings for my daughter also vary quite a bit, as do those for every child I've ever come in contact with. That's just part of diabetes in kids. Testing more than twice a day may help him improve control.

My wife and I also worry about nighttime lows. As a result, we test our daughter during the night, almost every night. After seven years of diabetes, we've become accustomed to waking up around 2:00 AM and doing a quick test. The key to reducing night time hypoglycemia is a good bedtime snack consisting of protein and complex carbohydrates, and to be sure the child isn't getting too much insulin.

JSH