From America OnLine:

What are the other functions of insulin? I only ask this as I was reading about insulin and fat metabolism -- it started me thinking. What else does this wonderful hormone do? I can understand if this is too much information. When I ask my "diabetes team" these questions, they do not have the time, and some of them the knowledge, to go into detail.

More detail can be found in any physiology textbook but insulin is certainly a key hormone in many areas of metabolism. It is, broadly, an anabolic or building hormone so it facilitates glucose entering tissues, promotes protein building, and the laying down of fat stores. As with most hormones, it also suppresses the opposite effects. For example, it reduces breakdown of glycogen (the body's starch supplies), protein, and fat.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

If you are looking for detailed information, such as that in medical textbooks, ask your doctor or your hospital's librarian if you can look at the physiology or internal medicine textbooks, or ask your diabetes educator if they have a copy of Diabetes Education: A Core Curriculum for Health Professionals, Second Edition, 1993, published by the American Association of Diabetes Educators. There's a chapter called Pathophysiology of Diabetes. AADE's phone number is 1-800-338-DMED.