Question:

I have recently been looking into the research on glutamic acid decarboxylase (I guess I'm way behind on diabetes research). It lead me to look into folic acid which is also a glutamic acid. Do you know of any trials where juvenile diabetics have been supplemented with folic acid?

Answer:

I think there's some confusion here. GAD, or glutamic acid decarboxylase, is an enzyme used in the processing of glutamic acid. The link with diabetes is through the presence of antibodies to the GAD enzyme (which is present in many body tissues), not anything to do with what the enzyme does. I am not aware of any folate supplement studies but there is no linking hypothesis to suggest why it might help.