Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

Even though I've had diabetes for about 8.5 years, I still forget to give my shots, I almost never test my blood, I don't follow a diet. I do these things because I'm clinging to the hope that a cure will come sometime next week. I'm 20 years old now with no signs of complications but that could change in the next decade if I continue on my present path and no cure is found.

Answer:

You are not alone in not wanting to take shots, test, or follow a diet. We all hope the cure will come soon, but if you have already caused permanent damage to your body it may be too late to enjoy the cure when it is discovered. Not taking your insulin can result in life threatening ketoacidosis in a short while. If you forget by accident to take your shot, you should know in a few hours because you will be very thirsty and going to the bathroom frequently. If this happens, you need to receive insulin immediately to avoid ketoacidosis.

If you are so down about the difficulty in caring for diabetes, I suggest you speak to your diabetes team about a referral to a therapist if there is not one on your team. You have no complications and are young. With help and guidance, you should be able to feel better about life and still control your diabetes.