I am female, 37 years old and five foot five inches tall.

Before taking insulin, my weight averaged 130 pounds. Since taking insulin, starting six months ago, I gained 16 pounds.

I have tried everything, but it seems impossible to lose those 16 pounds. I exercise 5 days a week, one and one half hours per day. The workout begins with thirty minutes of aerobics and then one hour of free-weight training. My low fat-low sugar diet is approxomately 1500-1800 calories per day, consisting of 300 calories from fat and 1200 calories from fruits and vegetables. I walk approximately one or two miles every day, at a mormal pace. I take 20 units of insulin per day, 12 units in the AM and 8 units in the PM.

Can you help?

The proportion of carbohydrate in your diet is higher than that used in most meal plans for people on insulin. It is also somewhat unusual not to include any starch or protein. The same number of calories as carbohydrate will require more insulin to keep the blood sugar normal than fat or protein foods with the same number of calories. Insulin promotes formation of fat in the body.

Perhaps you could discuss with your physician or nutritionist whether or not you could modify the meal plan to provide the same number of calories, but fewer carbohydrate calories. You will probably need to eat some additional protein. If you are then able to control your blood sugar with less insulin, hopefully you will be able to shed extra pounds.