Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Aug 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have a 3 year old, who 2 months ago got extremely sick over a weekend. She began vomiting and not being able to eat. He explained it to me as Cyclic Vomiting caused by Ketogenic Hypoglycemia. (31 Aug 96)

2. When my daughter was diagnosed, her blood sugar had been from the 900's to over 1,000 mg/dl for probably 2 to 3 weeks. Because of the high blood sugars will this make her chances of blindness, amputations or kidney problems be a higher possibility? (31 Aug 96)

3. I teach with a lady whose husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She needs a list of cookbooks that contain simple, tasty recipes she can prepare and her husband will eat. (31 Aug 96)

4. I have Type 2 diabetes, but I take insulin. My question is: does injected insulin replace or supplement native insulin? (31 Aug 96)

5. May I request some information regarding the current methods of measuring neonatal blood glucose? (31 Aug 96)

6. My daughter is on insulin, Humulin N 8 I.U. in the morning and 2 I.U. in the evening. What is your recommendation for changing the insulin units and what is the latest research in children's diabetes? (31 Aug 96)

7. We have a 5 year old daughter who was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I had my pediatrician tell me that this could be a prelude to diabetes. (31 Aug 96)

8. I have two big lumps of scar tissue on both sides of my stomach. In the last few years, I noticed this and moved the shot around. Can you give me any advice on how to get rid of the scar tissue? (27 Aug 96)

9. I wish I could find more information on insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. (27 Aug 96)

10. My daughter who is 4 years old was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She is beginning to adjust but we are still having difficulty. Our main problem is behaviour modification. (25 Aug 96)

11. I have had Type 2 diabetes for about one year now. I always wondered how much sugar intake was safe? If I consume too much sugar in a day what are the consequences? (25 Aug 96)

12. Our teenaged son (16 years old) was diagnosed 7-31-96 [a month ago]. Still trying to get blood sugar down. He lost so much weight that he is only injecting in his front thighs. Any tips? (25 Aug 96)

13. Is there any meter that can provide good results down to about 0 degrees Celcius (32 degrees Fahrenheit)? (23 Aug 96)

14. I have a 7 week old infant just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Her latest doctor ordered a dose of insulin that none of my medical friends have heard of -- dilute the U-100 insulin into U-10 and to give a volume of 20 units in a U-100 syringe. Is there a reason to give this more dilute? (23 Aug 96)

15. I am looking for food exchanges and also a good up to day calorie counter. I remember a book called "Everything you wanted to know about exchanges, but where afraid to ask." (23 Aug 96)

16. Is there anything you can advise at this time about the use of Humalog (lispro insulin) in children? (23 Aug 96)

17. I'd like to recieve more information about growth and diabetes. (21 Aug 96)

18. My son, age 8, recently began using Humalog along with Humulin Ultralente. I know that Humalog is fast acting, but can you tell me how long it stays in the system and when it peaks? (21 Aug 96)

19. My daughter's endocrinologist has told me that there will be a cure for my daughter's diabetes and that she will not be on insulin for the rest of her life. Is he just telling me what I want to hear or is there real hope that someday a cure will be found? (16 Aug 96)

20. My son of 3 1/2 years old has been discovered to be diabetic at the age of 2 1/2. Is their a link between a too high level of lactic acid, a hypotonic child and his diabetics? Which are the possible directions for further investigation? (16 Aug 96)

21. Does insulin make one more photosensitive? One pediatrician told us it does, another said he could find nothing to support the claim. (16 Aug 96)

22. I wanted to find out if any of you have had successful results by taking Chromium Picolinate. I have a 14-year-old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. (16 Aug 96)

23. I frequently go low and high as far as blood sugars go. My question is, it seems that one of my warning signs for going low is that I frequently have what can best be described as "Hot Flashes" (I feel rather flushed all over). Is this coincidence? (16 Aug 96)

24. In a recent conversation I had with a friend, I was asked how carefully I had to watch my potassium intake. Can you tell me what role potassium plays in the diabetic diet? (16 Aug 96)

25. I have a 16 year old, with newly diagnosed diabetes. Is there any consensus yet on using immunotherapy for Type 1 Diabetes? (16 Aug 96)

26. What exactly is the correlation between hypothyroidism and diabetes? I am a 41 year old male with a family history of autoimmune diseases. (14 Aug 96)

27. I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes last year. Sometimes my sugar levels are dropping very low after exercise and I have to eat a lot before the time. Is there a possibility that I can be in the honeymoon period? (13 Aug 96)

28. When my 9 year old daughter was first diagnosed in April, she periodically (once/twice a week) would complain that her chest (not stomach) ached. (13 Aug 96)

29. Are any drug companies working on an insulin that could be stored at body temperature to be used with internal pumps? (13 Aug 96)

30. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes in February 1996. Up until the last month or so we had little trouble controlling her blood sugar levels. Lately we can not seem to keep her levels below 200. (13 Aug 96)

31. Have you ever heard of a child being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes who is not put on insulin injections immediately? (13 Aug 96)

32. Can you explain how high sugars affect ketone production? My son had a 300+ blood sugar level for about 7 days (due to an infection) but he never had even trace amounts of ketones. What does it mean when the sugars are high and there are no ketones? (11 Aug 96)

33. My father has had diabetes for 39 years (since he was 17) and has had little consistency with his treatment involving an outrageous amount of bottles and prescriptions. Are there alternatives to the never ending prescriptions? What about holistic healing or balancing his system through acupunture? (11 Aug 96)

34. My father has Type 1 diabetes, and I have high concerns about the genetic inheritance of this disease. Are there preventative measures that I can take or is it a fact if I am going to inherit diabetes, there isn't much to do about it? (11 Aug 96)

35. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in October, 1994. I have two questions: what's the acceptable range and what's the rough average in IDDM affected children of A1C results? (9 Aug 96)

36. My 15-year-old son would like the "luxury" of sleeping late every day during the summer. His waking time varies between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. and this practice has really screwed up his readings for the rest of the day. How do others handle late sleeping and insulin? (9 Aug 96)

37. Our son was diagnosed in May, 1995. After three months, he was able to do without any insulin for 10 months. During this time we monitored his condition. Two months ago he began to have evening blood sugar highs of between 15-18 mmol/l (270-324 mg/dl). We would like find out what is causing his problem and how we can help him? (9 Aug 96)

38. I have read a short article about Melatonin. Will it will be helpful or a problem to people with diabetes? (9 Aug 96)

39. I would like info on brittle diabetes, with hypoglycemic unawareness. (6 Aug 96)

40. Our 14 year old daughter is concerned about her weight: enjoying exercise but concerned about the extra food she needs to cover her insulin. She has lowered her doses on exercise days but still becomes hypoglycemic. Any ideas? (6 Aug 96)

41. I've seen some preliminary information recently about "encapsulated" islet cell transplants that possibly could be put into a diabetic, and supply insulin, without the need for the anti-rejection drugs that are usually recommended for standard transplants of pancreas or other organs. (5 Aug 96)

42. Our son Matthew is 30 months old and has had diabetes for almost two years. For over the past two months, he has been announcing to us that his tummy hurts. (4 Aug 96, follow-up 9 Aug 96)

43. Please advise how to receive information describing the "tight control" methods used in the DCCT. I want to know how these methods should be implemented by individuals with IDDM. I also would like to know if the DCCT continues today. (4 Aug 96)

44. My daughter is 6 years old and has diabetes for the last two years. She recently switched to a new endocrinologist. The new doctor did an A1C test at his lab. I'd like to know that how reliable these A1C results are. (1 Aug 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts