Question:

Please advise how to receive information describing the "tight control" methods used in the DCCT. I want to know how these methods should be implemented by individuals with IDDM. I also would like to know if the DCCT continues today. I am leery of its results if only 3 years are the extent of the time period.

Answer:

The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial lasted 9 years; the average duration of participation was 6 years; the shortest duration of participation was 3 years. Analysis of the results showed a progressive decrease after 3 years in the rate of complications in the "tight control" group compared to the control group, and it therefore can be extrapolated that efforts to control blood sugar levels are worthwhile for any period of greater than 3 years. Hence, the American Diabetes Association (and almost every endocrinologist) encourages almost every Type 1 patient to consider starting a tight-control program.

The DCCT itself is over; however, many of the volunteers who participated are still being followed by their DCCT Diabetes Teams, to see what happens to the participants in the future.

The DCCT did not utilize any single program to control the blood sugar levels. Some of the patients were on multiple injections; others chose to use insulin pumps.

To get started on your own tight-control program, talk to your Diabetes Team. If you don't have already have a Diabetes Team, insist that your physician refer you to experts who know how to help you get started.

WWQ