Question:

From Missouri:

I have read a short article about Melatonin. It looks interesting and may be of some help as a sleep aid. The dose discussed in one study is .3 mg nightly. Have you seen anything in the medical literature about it? Will it will be helpful or a problem to people with diabetes?

Answer:

Melatonin is a hormone that is poorly understood; it has been suspected for over twenty years that it is probably somehow involved with sleeping.

Recently, there's been a lot of "hype" from a few people who propose using it as a sleeping pill. The product, as sold in the United States, is unregulated by the Food and Drug Administration, and no matter what it says on the label, you cannot really be sure that you're getting the dose that's described. Anyway, the dose to use is unknown.

So far, I'm unaware of any harm from using it in people with diabetes, but I'm not about to recommend it to my patients.

WWQ