From Italy:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in October, 1994. I have two questions: what's the acceptable range and what's the rough average in IDDM affected children of A1C results? Besides what do you think about our method of monitoring diabetes: 6 daily glycosuria tests, 6 weekly glycemia checks on the average, 1 quarterly A1C test? My e-mail is Thanks.

I can't answer your HbA1c question properly because it depends on the method used to do the test and the local "reference" or "normal" range. Unfortunately, many centres rely on the levels on the back of the test packet rather than work out the normals for the population that they serve. You should ask your own diabetes team about this.

Regarding urine and blood testing: provided you do the tests properly and have had instruction in how to interpret them, you are doing okay. Many centres no longer advocate urine testing because it is less useful and less acceptable to many patients. However, for those who dislike blood testing it can be an alternative. I suppose, if I am pressed, I would suggest that two blood tests a day or a profile of 4 or 5 tests every other day would be best.