Question:

I understand there are companies that manufacture internal medication pumps. I've talked to people at these companies about using the pumps to provide insulin to diabetics. They've said that the problem is that insulin cannot be stored at body temperature. Are any drug companies working on an insulin that could be stored at body temperature to be used with internal pumps?

Answer:

Yes. MiniMed, for one, has been doing clinical trials for the past few years, using an insulin pump that's buried beneath the skin layer. It is refilled monthly using very concentrated insulin. I don't know that they've had any problem at all with the insulin, although I'm aware that the U.S. FDA has requested that they thoroughly evaluate the insulin as well as the pump.

WWQ