Question:

When my 9 year old daughter was first diagnosed in April, she periodically (once/twice a week) would complain that her chest (not stomach) ached. a week) would complain that her chest (not stomach) ached. This generally happened at snack or lunch time, therefore I assumed it was a sign of being low. Yet each time I tested her she was not low. It stopped after about a month until the other night when the same thing happened before her evening snack. She was pale and obviously uncomfortable. Again, I tested her and she was 117. She ate her snack and said she felt fine about 1/2 hour later.

I plan to talk to her pediatrician at her next visit, but was wondering if such reactions even existed?? Thanks!

Answer:

I think that this is more likely to be colicky pain from the stomach (even if it's felt in the chest) rather than anything to do with diabetes. Another possibility is that she's having heartburn caused by food/acid refluxing back up her gullet. This can be very uncomfortable. Next time, try giving her a glass of milk, then tell your paediatrician whether this works.