Question:

I am a 40 year old man. I was diagnosed in March of this year with Type 1. I frequently go low and high as far as blood sugars go.

My question is, it seems that one of my warning signs for going low is that I frequently have what can best be described as "Hot Flashes" (I feel rather flushed all over). Is this coincidence? If not, what is the cause of this?

Answer:

There are both usual and unusual warning signs of hypoglycemia.

If your symptom occurs only when your blood sugar levels are low (based on blood sugar measurements with your meter), and is relieved with sugar energy, it would seem logical that the symptom is indeed a warning sign of hypoglycemia.

The next problem is whether to trust the presence of the symptom to decide whether to treat for hypoglycemia if the symptom occurs in a situation when you don't have a meter handy. Discuss this with your Diabetes Team.

WWQ