From Iowa, USA:

I have had Type 2 diabetes for about one year now. I always wondered how much sugar intake was safe? If I consume too much sugar in a day what are the consequences? I also like my chocolate so I am on the look out for some that doesn't cost $12.00 a pound. Thank you.

Once, doctors told their patients with diabetes to avoid all sugar. It really wasn't practical, and it certainly is not necessary to do this! The newest meal plans deemphasize the restriction on sugar per se, and instead emphasize the importance of your ability to recognize carbohydrates in your meal plan.

I point out to my patients that some sugar (such as the amount which is incorporated into bakery products) is okay; on the other hand, if you can avoid extra sugar (such as regular soda pop or the frosting on cakes) you'll avoid extra calories and will make it much easier to adjust your diabetes program to keep your glycohemoglobin level down.

A small amount of sweets (such as a controlled craving for chocolates) is reasonable for everyone; discuss how to incorporate your food preferences into your meal plan with the dietitian on your Diabetes Team.