Question:

From the Philippines:

May I request some information regarding the current methods of measuring neonatal blood glucose?

I have been requested by a friend to make this inquiry on his behalf. He is assigned as a pediatrician at the City Hospital here in Iligan City, Philippines. He is interested to know whether capillary blood glucose detection would be more advantageous than intravenous detection.

I would appreciate very much your reply. Thank you.

Answer:

The major difference between the use of capillary blood sugars in neonates and children with diabetes is that, in the former, you are more often interested in finding hypoglycaemia than hyperglycaemia.

Capillary testing is used throughout the world with various meters and sticks which have their own individual advantages and disadvantages. Most units work on a principle of sending true blood sugars to the lab if the capillary testing system they have registers less than 2 mmol/L. They may also take action prior to receiving the lab result.