Question:

I teach with a lady whose husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes. This lady is worried for all the obvious reasons, but for another one, too: She and her husband never eat at home, as she doesn't cook. She realizes she will have to learn, but has no one to ask. She needs a list of cookbooks that contain simple, tasty recipes she can prepare and her husband will eat. I can't help her, and turned to my computer for help.

She has a text-only e-mail, so can be reached with assistance at brow8000@spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov. Please feel free to send her address over the computer highway. Not only does she need cookbooks, she needs support form those who've walked in her shoes.

Thanks so much!

Answer:

Some suggestions:

• The staff at the hospital where her husband will be hospitalized should be able to help. In particular, ask the Diabetes Nurse Educator, and the dietitian assigned to the cardiac wards, for their assistance.
  • Some hospitals have Patient Resource Centers, which are "stocked" with all sorts of good stuff to read.
  • It's possible that the Medical Library at the hospital will be able to contact other nearby libraries and find additional books to help out. She can call the switchboard operator from any of the hospital phones, and be connected to the librarian.
  • The local chapter of the American Diabetes Association should have copies of their "Month of Meals" books (there are several in the series) that are a great start.

Hope this helps.

WWQ