When my daughter (12 years old) was finally diagnosed, her blood sugar had been from the 900's to over 1,000 mg/dl [50 to 55 mmol/l] when admited to the hospital, for probably 2 to 3 weeks, or longer. She was in ketoacidosis. She weighed in at 69 pounds. Can you tell me or give me a clue as to how this will affect her body in the coming years. Because of the high blood sugars will this make her chances of blindness, amputations or kidney problems be a higher possibility? There are no signs of any problems at this time. She is doing very well.

I am delighted to reassure you that there is no evidence that a presentation such as your daughter experienced, will in any way affect the long term outcome. There has been some suggestion that the honeymoon period of those presenting with such high sugars may be shorter but I am not convinced. The evidence that we have is that it takes years of high sugars to do permanent damage so the message is that it's what you and your daughter do from now on that matters.