Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Sep 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Our seven year old son suffers from ADHD. Recently I have begun to suspect a link between hypoglycemia and his ADHD problems due to the timing. Has a link between hypoglycemia and hyperactivity been established? (29 Sep 96)

2. We have our 34 month old son enrolled in a church mother's morning out program. Both times when I walked into the room I could tell he was low. Is he too young to be in this pre-school without being able to communicate effectively? (29 Sep 96)

3. My doctor has told me that I might be a diabetic because I have recurring yeast infections. How does the reoccurrence of yeast infections and diabetes relate? (29 Sep 96)

4. I have been a diabetic for over 10 years, I am now 19 years old and have had some complications. (25 Sep 96)

5. We are RN's who work in a busy Medical Center. Do you have any suggestions as to who we could talk to in order to gain information/ideas on support groups already formed? (25 Sep 96)

6. My 13 year old son was diagnosed a month ago with Type 1 diabetes. What, if any, studies are being conducted into the use of alternative therapies? (22 Sep 96)

7. I realize that urine tests for blood-glucose levels are inaccurate, but is there any rule-of-thumb correlation between actual blood glucose levels and these results on Diastix Reagent Strips for Urinalysis: 100 mg/dL, 250, 500, 1000, 2000+? (20 Sep 96)

8. Have you every heard about the effectiveness of taking borage oil (gamma-linolenic acid, or GLA)? I was told by a friend that in Great Britain gla is effective in treating Type 2 diabetes. Could GLA be effective? Are there serious side effects to GLA? (20 Sep 96)

9. My friend is 12. She was diaognosed with diabetes in September of last year. She told me that she hardly ever measures the amount of insulin that she is taking and she never checks her blood sugar. I am worried about her but what can I do to help? (20 Sep 96)

10. I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 27 years. I experience tremendous mood swings I'm wondering is this mainly my diabetes. Is it possible to improve circulation and nerves in the feet that are damaged? (20 Sep 96)

11. Our daughter recently had an episode of insulin shock so we lowered her insulin doses. I realize there are antibodies created through the use of insulin. Can lowering insulin units allow antibodies to build up and fight against insulin in the future? (20 Sep 96)

12. My daughter is 20 months and eats very well, but she also drinks upwards of 28 to 30 ounces of milk a day. I am extremely worried that I have put her at risk of developing diabetes. (20 Sep 96)

13. Is it possible that the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine could be a trigger to the precipitation of the onset of diabetes that might not have occurred until much later in life? (20 Sep 96)

14. My son was diagnosed at 18 months and is now 2 1/2 years old. What is a child that age feeling with a drop [from 277 to 60 in one hour]? (20 Sep 96)

15. When people who do not have diabetes eat a pound of candy (or two pounds or ten: a total overload), how high does their blood glucose go? (19 Sep 96, updated 20 Sep 96)

16. My son Ricky is 14 years old. He just joined his high school's cross country team. It is hard for him to finish school at 2:15 and start practice at 2:30 without eating something to get him through all the running. Would a Zbar eaten earlier in the day do anything to help him during this afternoon run? (16 Sep 96)

17. My daughter is 18 years of age and she has diabetes. Please say something about the her chances to have a healthy baby. (16 Sep 96)

18. My fifteen year old son has had four seizures in the past seven years, one this summer while at basketball camp. His blood sugar seems to drop suddenly at times, and without a warning will go into a seizure. What can he do to prevent this from happening? (16 Sep 96, updated 20 Sep 96)

19. What is the best and most accurate blood machine currently on the market today? (16 Sep 96)

20. I would like to know if there is an alternative insulin that I can take that is not tested on animals. (16 Sep 96)

21. What do you know about the new [name deleted by editor] meter? It looks quite interesting -- and strips appear to be the cheapest of any meter. (16 Sep 96)

22. I wish to discuss BCG Vaccination and Diabetes Type 1 with my Doctor re: my 2 year old son recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic. What pluses and minuses can I put to my Doctor? (12 Sep 96)

23. Could use all the recipes I can get for cooking for a diabetic. Also could use some good advice on how to stay on a diet and not be discouraged by all of this. (12 Sep 96)

24. My boyfriend is 22 years old. He was diagnosed Type 1 about a year and half ago. Will he get sicker as he gets older? What are the chances for him to get the complications in the future? Is it possible to have the kids with him. Will the kids get it, too? I am very worried. (12 Sep 96)

25. Can Humalog insulin can be used with an insulin pump? (11 Sep 96)

26. Could you please explain to me what a rotovirus is, and it's relationship to the onset of Type 1 diabetes? Thank you. (11 Sep 96)

27. My 19 year-old son takes insulin daily but he has a real battle with keeping his blood sugar up to a normal level. He is very, very active and he eats very well. I sometimes think that if he didn't take any insulin that he wouldn't have such trouble with that. What do you think? (11 Sep 96)

28. When my son was diagnosed with diabetes last year, we were told that doctors now believe that this is caused by a virus that attacks the pancreas and kills the islet cells. Is this true? (11 Sep 96)

29. I am very concerned about my six and 1/2 year old daughter. She has never wet her bed, even while potty training, and she has wet three times in the past week and 1/2. Am I worrying needlessly about this possibly being the early stages of diabetes? (11 Sep 96)

30. I have a question about sports participation. My 9 year old son has always been very active but nothing like the 2 hours of intense physical training that he does five days a week for football practice. Everything is going very well aside from the fact that I am about to have a nervous breakdown! (9 Sep 96)

31. I was 44 at diagnosis of diabetes (48 now). I've read that hyperinsulinemia is a risk factor for artery disease, and I wonder whether by taking insulin, I'm doing more damage. (8 Sep 96)

32. I have girl friend that is a type I diabetic. In the past several months she has been experiencing low sugars in the middle of the night and early morning. I was wondering if there was an easier way to bring her level up, other than trying to force feed her. (7 Sep 96, revised 12 Sep 96)

33. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes as a young child and has always been covered by my company's group medical plan. She is now 23. In November my COBRA insurance will expire for her. (7 Sep 96)

34. I'd like to know if there is some new insulin on the market because I use animal insulin and I think it's difficult to run around and inject the old way. I can't use the pen but I would like to. (7 Sep 96)

35. I found out I was diabetic two years ago at 25 years of age. What I seem to struggle with the most is fatigue and lack of energy. Is that a normal part of being diabetic? (7 Sep 96)

36. My daughter was diagnosed in April, 1996. All of a sudden, her levels are shooting way up to 200-380! We have tried mixing 1 unit R with her dose but it seems to give her too many "lows." Should we just keep adding one unit of NPH? (5 Sep 96)

37. I was hoping to find a device you could wear which would alarm you that you are having a reaction. Are you aware of such a device for diabetics to wear? (5 Sep 96)

38. Is there any problem using lispro (Humalog®) in a morning shot and then Regular in an afternoon shot with NPH? (5 Sep 96)

39. Can one induce the onset of diabetes by the intake of high amounts of sugar? Conversely, can the early use of sugar substitutes put off the onset of diabetes? (2 Sep 96)

40. Where you are, do people have to pay for their insulin and anything else they need? I think we might have to start paying over here [United Kingdom]. (2 Sep 96)

41. I'm searching on the Internet for a non-invasive test for diabetes. Could not find this information. Without going to a doctor, are there any other reliable tests? (1 Sep 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts