Question:

From the United Kingdom:

Where you are, do people have to pay for their insulin and anything else they need? I think we might have to start paying over here.

Answer:

In the United States, there are innumerable schemes to pay all, part, or none of the costs of diabetes supplies. Depending on their rules, some of the insurance plans that I have encountered will:

1. Pay for insulin and syringes
  2. Pay for insulin, but not for syringes
  3. Not pay for lispro insulin, but will pay for the other insulin products
  4. Pay for blood sugar strips
  5. Not pay for blood sugar strips
  6. Pay for blood sugar strips only if you're taking insulin (and not pay if on diabetes pills or meal planning alone)
  7. Pay for diabetes pills only for a month at a time, althought both the doctor and the patient know that the patient will be on the pills for years
  8. Pay for diabetes pills or insulin, but only the brand that they happen to have a contract with
  9. And some patients don't have any insurance, and hence pay for everything out-of-pocket

Doesn't make much sense? The most annoying part of this mess (from my viewpoint) is the fact that many of our patients don't even know what benefits their insurance plan may have!

WWQ