Question:

I have been a juvenile diabetic for 27 1/2 years, since age six. My fasting blood sugar is often high due I think to middle of the night reactions where I don't wake up and then my body treats the reaction which creates a major rebound which I spend the whole day trying to bring back down.

Recently, I have lost all previous symptoms of oncoming low blood sugars. I was hoping to find a device you could wear which would alarm you that you are having a reaction due to sweating, rapid heart rate, etc. Are you or anyone else aware of such a device for diabetics to wear?

Answer:

There are no reliable alarm devices for use to judge insulin reactions. See earlier questions for further information about this subject.

Middle-of-the-night hypoglycemia is unacceptable. Talk to your Diabetes Team about rearranging your insulin program, and perhaps using lispro insulin to get rid of this problem.

WWQ