My boyfriend is 22 years old. He was diagnosed Type 1 about a year and half ago. He seems to be fine and in good shape. Will he get sicker as he gets older? What are the chances for him to get the complications in the future? Is it possible to have the kids with him. Will the kids get it, too? I am very worried.

According to recent studies, with a lot of work to keep the blood sugars nearly normal, anybody recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetes should be able to decrease the chance of future health complications.

The chances of your kids getting diabetes is in the general range of 5-10%. There are now fairly reliable specialized blood tests that can detect future diabetes in your children, and perhaps (studies are presently underway) it will be possible to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes in the future.

You and your boyfriend should find out the times for Diabetes Classes at your nearby hospital or Diabetes Center, and plan to go. You'll both learn a lot, and most of it will be very reassuring.