Question:

From Alice Springs, Australia:

I wish to discuss BCG Vaccination and Diabetes Type 1 with my Doctor re: my 2 year old son recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic. We are in Alice Springs Australia where new information is not readily available. Having read the research available I am keen to go ahead. What pluses and minuses can I put to my Doctor? Can you help?

Answer:

The trial of BCG in new-onset Type 1 Diabetes is just coming to an end; but a preliminary assessment of the results does NOT suggest that it will be of any benefit. However, if your son should have younger siblings, they should be tested for antibodies because there may may well soon be ways of at least delaying insulin dependence.

DO'B