Question:

From Canada:

I would like to know if there is an alternative insulin that I can take that is not tested on animals.

Answer:

Standards of animal care in both the Universities and Industry have become much more exacting in recent years and meeting them correspondingly more expensive. Although quality control for a product like insulin is increasingly an affair of technics like column chromatography and mass spectroscopy, some animal work has a place and all the main manufacturers use much the same processes. If you are concerned about animal involvement your best course would be to use one of the semisynthetic human insulins. These are made by introducing the human gene into bacteria, culturing the bacteria and then reassembling the product which is essentially the same as human insulin.

DO'B