From Canada:

I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 27 years. I'm also a recovering alcoholic and drug addict for 16 years. Needless to say I have not taken great care of myself in the past. Presently on track with my diabetes and Doctor. My questions:

1. I experience tremendous mood swings I'm wondering is this mainly my diabetes, or a little of both (addiction and diabetes).
  2. Is it possible to improve circulation and nerves in the feet that are damaged?

The mood swings could partially be due to blood sugar swings; but you're probably right that it's a little of both.

To improve the circulation in the feet, it would definitely be helpful to quit smoking (if you've been hanging onto that addiction); it might possibly be helpful to add an aspirin a day to your program.

Nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) can occur from diabetes, and also from alcohol. Since you've been "exposed" to both high sugar and excess alcohol, it's difficult to say if any improvement in the nerves in the feet could be expected.

Stay on track!