Question:

From New Zealand:

My friend is 12. She was diaognosed with diabetes in September of last year. She frequently buys chocolate at the dairy and nothing I do can discourage her. She also told me that she hardly ever measures the amount of insulin that she is taking and she never checks her blood sugar. I am worried about her but what can I do to help?

Answer:

It sounds like your friend is finding it hard to come to terms with diabetes. However, most of my patients eat chocolate some of the time and still look after their diabetes reasonably well. What I mean is that she may be taking her insulin more regularly than she likes to suggest. I think that you will be doing her a favour to gently discourage her from eating chocolate and to let her know that you understand that having diabetes must be very difficult. Ask her to tell you about diabetes and to let you watch her do a blood test and injection. If she knows you are genuinely interested and concerned then this may help her.

I am sure that this is just a phase and that with time and understanding, your friend will come to accept her diabetes and look after herself before she comes to any harm.