Question:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with type I diabetes 1 month ago. She is in her honeymoon period and takes 1-2 units of regular and NPH insulin 2 times per day.

Have you every heard about the effectiveness of taking borage oil (gamma-linolenic acid, or GLA)? I was told by a friend that in Great Britain gla is effective in treating Type 2 diabetes. Since my daughter is still producing insulin, could GLA be effective? Are there serious side effects to GLA?

Answer:

There is some preliminary evidence that gamma linolenic acid may have a beneficial effect on diabetic neuropathy. There has also been one study which showed that children with diabetes had lower than control levels of GLA in their blood. This fatty acid is involved in the production of substances called prostaglandins which have many roles in the body. I know of at least one study which is supplementing children with GLA or placebo, but it is certainly too early to recommend supplements.