Question:

My doctor has told me that I might be a diabetic because I have recurring yeast infections. He would like to give me a blood test in the near future. How does the reoccurrence of yeast infections and diabetes relate? He did not explain that to me.

Answer:

Your doctor is quite right: diabetes does occasionally present as a yeast infection in the absence of any of the more typical symptoms. However at this stage, unless you have a clear family history it should be sufficient just to look in the urine for glucose and to do a fasting blood sugar and not to get involved in the expense of antibody tests, insulin levels in response to a glucose load or even an A1c test; not that you can ever be sure you won't one day get diabetes.

The association with diabetes is supposedly because the sugar in the urine makes it an advantageous culture medium for the yeast. There are, of course other events that predispose to yeast infections; recent therapy with antibiotics for example, and too little thyroid hormone.

DO'B