From America OnLine:

Our seven year old son suffers from ADHD. Recently I have begun to suspect a link between hypoglycemia and his ADHD problems due to the timing. His worst episodes occurred at about the same time every day (1-2 PM) and usually he did not eat his lunch at camp or at school. Also, I noticed that during a particularly bad behavior episode I gave him Jolly Rancher candies (2 or 3) just to refocus him on something else. Within minutes the episode subsided. He had not eaten too much up to that point. He has been under many different kinds of medications (not all at the same time) Results have been erratic.

Has a link between hypoglycemia and hyperactivity been established? If so, where can I find out more? Finally, how could this be treated if it were the case?

Thank you in advance. We are at our wits end and are looking for an answer.

The only way to diagnose a true low blood sugar is to test the blood sugar at the time the child is having symptoms. If the blood sugar is truly low, further hormonal and neurological evaluation is indicated to look for the cause of the low blood sugar. Many individuals will have symptoms of falling blood sugars if they go a long time without eating. The blood sugar is not truly low, but the symptoms are real and can be avoided by not skipping meals and trying to eat foods high in protein.

It sounds like your child's attention problem may be made worse by skipping meals, but if he has been on so many medications, it is unlikely that low blood sugar caused his ADHD in the first place.