Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Oct 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. What is considered a "low" reading, and what is the "length in time" of this "low" reading is considered harmful (in the long run) to a child? (31 Oct 96)

2. Do you know what the approximate percentages are that a Type 1 diabetic father and a non-diabetic mother with no history of Type 1 diabetes in their families will have a child with diabetes? (31 Oct 96)

3. I often get urinary tract infections because my sugars are constantly out of control through no fault of my own. I believe they call it "brittle" diabetes. Is there anything I can do to either prevent these from occurring or to fix the problem when it arises? (31 Oct 96)

4. I am a 25-year-old white female with Type 1 diabetes (diagnosed when I was 8) and hyperthyroidism. I have a severe goiter and my eyes are "popping." At the moment, neither my diabetes nor my hyperthyroidism is well controlled. Any suggestions? (31 Oct 96)

5. My daughter is presently doing three shots. We are thinking of changing to Ultralente because her 3rd shot is not until 11:30 at night. Anyone else with a similar experience? (31 Oct 96)

6. I hope that my effort to find out more about diabetes isn't offensive to those with the disease, but it is my dog who has the disease. My life is definitely affected by her disease. I love her dearly and do not want to lose her to the disease. I would do anything to help her. (31 Oct 96)

7. I have been trying to find a copy of the Diabetes Diet that was given to me when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. I am 22 years old, and obese, and my obstetrician said that if I didn't lose my weight now, I'd end up with permanent diabetes by age 35. (28 Oct 96)

8. Could someone explain what glucose intolerance is and can it lead into diabetes? (28 Oct 96)

9. My son was diagnosed as diabetic last year at the age of 7 years. Unfortunately, I have been going through a very messy divorce for the last 3 years and this has been felt by my son. Is there an association between emotional stress and the outbreak of diabetes? (28 Oct 96)

10. I have a 13 year old son who has had Type 1 diabetes for 2 years. In the last 3-4 weeks he has begun to break out in hives after his morning insulin injection. It does not occur after his evening injection. I am looking for ideas on causes. (28 Oct 96)

11. My 3 year old son wakes at least 3-4 times during the night for drinks of water, urinates large amount constantly throughout the day--so much that we are having an extremely difficult time potty training him. Should I have him checked for diabetes? (28 Oct 96)

12. An adult neighbor who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 53 years ago, is participating in a study using amylin. Can you give us any information about amylin and about the clinical trials now underway with amylin? (28 Oct 96)

13. My wife was gestational diabetic when pregnant with all three of our children and required insulin daily for the second half of all three pregnancies. (28 Oct 96)

14. What effect does alcohol have on diabetes? If a diabetic person were to occasionally drink, what could they do to counteract these effects? (28 Oct 96)

15. We were wondering if a diabetic can eat a gram of sugar contained in a light ice cream or if everything they eat has to be prepared with Equal. (28 Oct 96)

16. My daughter, 7 years old, got diabetes 3 month ago. The doctors suggest that my daughter take a treatment by immunoglobulin and I need to know more about this treatment. Where can I learn more about it, or where I can hear from other families that had this treatment? (28 Oct 96)

17. My daughter has been to the school nurse quite often complaining about a headache. Sometimes these headaches are accompanied by nausea, clammy-cold skin, deep sunken eyes and weakness. Our pediatrician wants her to do a glucose test. Should I have her do the test? (28 Oct 96)

18. I have a coworker who uses the MiniMed pump. She really likes it except that she tells me the injections really hurt her. Is there a prescription or over the counter numbing agent that could help her? (28 Oct 96)

19. I am wondering what diet has to do with causing, treating and even preventing diabetes? I'm 14; my great-grandmother and my grandmother both have it, and I would like to know how I may be able to stay away from it! (28 Oct 96)

20. Our 4-year-old daughter is on Regular and NPH in the morning and Regular before dinner. We are doing 3 to 4 tests for sugar level a day. We would like to know if there are medical advantages of going on intensive treatment. (28 Oct 96)

21. My daughter is 18 months. She drinks anywhere from 90-120 ounces of fluids a day, wets at least 8 diapers a day, and is constantly irritable. She weighs 32 lbs. Is she at risk for diabetes? The only thing she isn't doing is losing weight. (25 Oct 96)

22. We are wondering regarding the availability of the new insulin called Humalog in New Zealand. We have a difficult time trying to get our daughter to eat enough or eat at all especially when she gets a cold or feels sick and this Humalog sounds great. Is it okay for one so young? (25 Oct 96)

23. How do I avoid getting air in my syringe? I draw up very slowly and it seems I still get air bubbles in my syringe. (25 Oct 96)

24. November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and we found a local student who was willing to write about how having diabetes has not prevented her from participating in sports. It would be nice to list some names of professional athletes who have diabetes. (25 Oct 96)

25. I'm 48 years old, diagnosed 3 years ago. I take pills for control. My blood sugar levels are all over the place. I'm confused, scared, and tired of being heavy. Can you help me? (25 Oct 96)

26. Are you familiar with Chelation Therapy as a means of improving a diabetic condition? If so, what is your opinion? (25 Oct 96)

27. My wife and myself are planning to have a child in the near future. My wife is a Type 1 diabetic and what we are wondering is, are there hospitals or clinics that allow the diabetic to stay in the hospital during the entire time of pregnancy? (22 Oct 96)

28. I am a registered dietitian and diabetes educator. I recently contacted a high school nurse about a 14 year old boy. His diabetes has been very poorly controlled. My interest is in resources that would appeal to him as a teenage boy. (22 Oct 96)

29. I hear talk about nasal insulin. Do you have more information about this? (21 Oct 96)

30. Are there any plans to make more consistent long-lasting insulins, like the NPH and Lente? (21 Oct 96)

31. I have a 3 year old daughter who was diagnosed 2 months ago, and just this past Thursday her endocrinologist decreased her insulin. Now that he has done that, the last 2 days her sugars have been high. Should I ask him to go back up on her doses? (21 Oct 96)

32. I am very interested in finding out more about the reduction of microvascular complications of diabetes in children. (21 Oct 96)

33. Would you please be able to give me some information as to the first signs of diabetes in a 14 year old male? (21 Oct 96)

34. I am doing some research on the kiwifruit. I was wondering if you had any useful medical information on the benefits of this fruit, other than "eating fruit is good for you." (19 Oct 96)

35. My son is 4 years old and about 6 months ago I noticed he had an increasing appetite for sugar. This was also accompanied with an agressive personality and usually about 45 minutes after eating sugar some pretty severe temper tantrums. Does it sound as though this child could have diabetes which is currently being controlled through diet? (19 Oct 96)

36. I have a friend who is 25 and was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 15 years old. One night while he was sleeping, his body started shaking like he was having a seizure. I tried to wake him, but it was really difficult. What could have caused this to happen? Is this harmful to him? (19 Oct 96)

37. My son is 3 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes about 8 months ago. I am a cardiologist and have discussed my son with several pediatric endocrinologists who have different opinions regarding the level of control aimed for in this age group. What do you think? (19 Oct 96)

38. I am a 41 year old woman with no family history of diabetes. At a regular doctor's check-up I had blood work done and the results showed a blood sugar around 280. I'm having such a hard time adjusting to a diabetes diagnosis and wondered if there could possibly be a relationship to menstruation? (15 Oct 96)

39. I am a male 37-year-old Type 1, diagnosed 22 years ago. For the past several years I've been battling the "dawn phenomenon," and was wondering if you might have any suggestions for things I might try to help avoid high morning blood glucose levels. (15 Oct 96)

40. What organizations are involved in the islet cell replacement research and is this the most promising program today to cure Type 1 diabetics? (13 Oct 96)

41. I am 12 years old, and have had diabetes since I was 7. I know this is necessary, but is there any other way that is/has come out on the market for testing blood? I hate to check at school, and around my friends, so I probably don't check as often as I should. Please let me know. (13 Oct 96)

42. Is there somewhere to buy blood glucose strips at a reasonable price? Currently, they cost me almost 80 cents each [US$0.80]. They are very expensive! (13 Oct 96)

43. My son is now 15 years old. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes while still 14. We found cigarettes and a small bag of marijuana in his room. Could you please tell me and him the dangers of both especially in relationship to his diabetes? (13 Oct 96)

44. As my 9 year old son was diagnosed last week as having diabetes, it would be appreciated if you could answer the following questions. (13 Oct 96)

45. We are wondering, when her blood glucose is too high (the other day her level was 23mm/l [414 mg/dl] at 3.00pm), why she could not forego the snack, as she doesn't feel like eating when she is high, and then eat as usual at the next meal? This would allow time for her blood glucose to return to a more acceptable level. (13 Oct 96)

46. I am a 14 year old who is thinking of getting an insulin pump. I am not sure if I want to get something that will be useless in less than a year. How close are they from getting something better? (13 Oct 96)

47. My son is 7 and a half months old. He has slowly been losing weight, and is unable to tolerate his food, and breastfeeding without vomiting up a good portion of his intake. My family doctor feels he might have a cardiac sphincter incompetence. I would appreciate an opinion as to whether I should be asking my doctor to test for diabetes? (13 Oct 96)

48. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed at 12 years old. Can she go on the pen? (13 Oct 96)

49. I am a 14 year old who is thinking of getting an insulin pump. My parents are concerned because I play sports including baseball and basketball. Can I wear the pump during a game? (13 Oct 96)

50. It's very apparent that you are well entrenched in the traditional medical community line of "this works don't need to find something better." You are so negative! If an alternative treatment can't hurt but might help for whatever reason then why not. (13 Oct 96)

51. What do you think of chromium and raw pancreas concentrate, and vitamin supplements in general? (13 Oct 96)

52. I am a physical education teacher and a type I diabetic. This year I have a kindergarten student who is also a type I diabetic. Are the desired blood glucose levels for children the same as for adults, or are they different? (13 Oct 96)

53. I've been Type 1 now for 7 months. My question is just since I was diagnosed, I seem to have developed an allergy to the adhesive used on tape and band-aids. Is this related to diabetes and if so should I bug my endocrinologist about it? (13 Oct 96)

54. I'm looking for a Log Book - on line. (13 Oct 96)

55. I have had IDDM for 26 years. My question is about hearing. I have a significant hearing loss in my right ear. My ENT doctor didn't feel it was diabetes related. Could it be? (10 Oct 96)

56. I have IDDM, and will soon be "celebrating" my 26th year with it. I am thinking of going on an insulin pump. Is there any source that compares and contrasts the efficacy of the two pumps? Is one really the same as the other? How does one choose one model over another? (10 Oct 96)

57. I am a 49 year old with Type 1 diabetes for 32 years. I have used the pump for 13 years. I started using lispro insulin (Humalog) yesterday [October 3, 1996] and I am trying to find any information on using Humalog in a pump. (6 Oct 96)

58. What progress is being made on using encapsulated islets? (6 Oct 96)

59. Our 12 year old daughter has recently started using the new lispro (Humalog) insulin. In reading some of the information available on the internet, I'm a little concerned about the complications associated with the heart trouble. (6 Oct 96)

60. Looking for information on Captopril's beneficial effects on diabetic nephropathy. Is there wisdom in initiating therapy before signs of kidney disease manifest? (6 Oct 96)

61. I have a five year old son diagnosed 2 months ago. Since kindergarten, he swings from 112 to 390 at lunch to 128 at dinner. To try and stabilize him we went to Humalog two days ago. In our son, it appears to drop his levels so quickly that his tummy hurts, his head hurts and he stops eating. (5 Oct 96)

62. My daughter (age 18) has had Type 1 diabetes since age 8. When she takes insulin she swells up. The pain from the swelling is enough to make her want to give up. The problem now is that she can't take enough insulin to stay in control and not swell up. We are desperate. Can you help? (4 Oct 96)

63. My son is five years old, and is newly diagnosed with diabetes. He developed pneumonia in the hospital. I would like to know if this makes any difference in his glucose levels. (4 Oct 96)

64. Our doctor suggested we take our daughter off all dairy products because she doesn't metabolize them well. Our endocrinologist had a fit about it and we are torn. What literature is out there so we can make an informed decision? (4 Oct 96)

65. I am 34 years old and have had diabetes for 27 years. My questions are related to "Diabetic Stiff Hand Syndrome" which I was diagnosed with a year ago. (3 Oct 96)

66. My 13 year old was diagnosed with diabetes in August 1996. Someone mentioned a product called cell tech, and a supplement called super blue green algae. What are these and what do they do? (3 Oct 96)

67. Our daughter was diagnosed in March, 1995. She frequently goes low without any outward sign. We know the risk of complications is reduced with better control, but at her age is a higher overall blood sugar a good trade off for reducing lows and possibly regaining awareness to oncoming lows? (3 Oct 96)

68. Our grandson has been staying with us for the past week and a half while his mother is out of town. While staying with us, he has to urinate frequently and drink a lot of fluids. Someone suggested to us that this might be a sign of diabetes. (3 Oct 96)

69. Are pancreatic transplants an option for treatment? Is the life expectancy less for a child with Type 1 compared to a child without diabetes? We cannot get our son to eat when he is supposed to and meals are becoming a battleground. Any ideas? (3 Oct 96)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts

Last Updated: Monday September 27, 2010 15:51:34