My 13 year old was diagnosed with diabetes in August 1996. Someone mentioned a product called cell tech, and a supplement called super blue green algae. What are these and what do they do? What else is available and worthwhile?

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Dr. O'Brien:

Super blue green algae is a well known and rather expensive nutritional supplement, which is harmless. If giving it to a newly-diagnosed 13 year old is supportive to either the parents or the teenager then that is fine; but our emphasis should be on adhering to conventional treatment with insulin and diet as directed by their physician.

Answer from Dr. Quick:

We have answered other questions about Alternative Therapies and Explanations previously.

My main concern with using these "alternative products" is to be sure that the patient who's consuming the product is making a fully-informed decision to either use it with standard medical recommendations (as discussed by Dr. O'Brien, above) or to use it instead of standard therapy. I cannot advise that a child be given these alternative therapies under any circumstances (other than a randomized clinical trial where the parents have given informed consent, and the research protocol has been approved by an independent reviewing agency). There are just too many stories of adverse reactions that never were evaluated by the manufacturers of these products; I'd like to quote from one e-mail I have received:

I am a Senior Citizen (63), have had diabetes since about 1983, and am retired. Usually under good control of blood sugar, belong to a water aerobics group and do that for 40 minutes 3 times a week. When weather is nice, also exercise. I am overweight in spite of it. Anyway, recently I read an issue of Health & Healing by Dr. Julian Whitaker, M.D. He stressed the importance of taking a nutritional supplement, called Fibre Greens +. I ordered it, and shortly after receiving it, started taking it. I almost immediately began seeing very high blood sugars, and didn't connect it to the new supplement. I had to be out of town for two days, and I didn't take the new ones with me. And, my blood sugars were back to normal. Took them again when I got back...still not having connected the two....and they were up again. Finally, it dawned on me. For your info...they went up as high as 456, extremely unusual for me. I have now returned the supplements.

Unfortunately, I returned all the product, so don't have a label. Best I can do is quote excerpts from the April issue of Health & Healing. It is Fibre Greens+, purchased from Healthy Directions with an 800 # of 1-800-722-8008, ext. 838E. Contains dietary fiber, substantial amounts of apple pectin, flax seed, organic oat bran, brown rice bran and dehydrated whole prune powder. Barley grass that has been inoculated with friendly bacteria that repopulate the bacteria in colon. (Seven different varieties of these bacteria..approximately 2.5 billion per dose.) A single dose also includes 500 mg of fructooligosaccarides (FOS), an indigestible natural sugar that feeds these bacteria cultures and enhances their health within the intestinal tract. Substantial amounts of other superfoods such as soy, beets, broccoli, celery, carrots, and parsley. Loaded with phytochemicals...carotenes, genistein, isoflavones and others...Peruvian cat's claw. "perhaps most important"...Fiber Greens+ contains dehydrated green juices from wheat grass, barley grass, alfalfa grass, spirulina and blue-green algae.