Our 12 year old daughter has recently started using the new lispro (Humalog) insulin. In reading some of the information available on the internet, I'm a little concerned about the complications associated with the heart trouble. In your opinion, do you feel that there has been enough research done to overcome these possible side effects? My wife and I would appreciate any comments you might have regarding possible side effects.

Lispro insulin has been well-studied, and seems to me that it is an excellent insulin product. I am disappointed that there has been any anxiety raised by the comments of a member of the FDA Advisory Committee, that lispro may have an adverse effect on the heart. (Dr. Jose Cara's comments are available for review in the August 1996 issue of Diabetes Forecast, which is available on-line.) The committee voted unanimously in favor of releasing the new insulin, despite Dr. Cara's comments.

There are two letters addressing this matter in the October 1996 issue of the Diabetes Forecast (page 12). The letter-writers are well-known and well-respected authorities (Davida F. Kruger, MSN, RN, C, CDE, Fred W. Whitehouse, MD, and Larry C. Deeb, MD). Both letters indicate positive feelings about lispro, and no concern for the potential of cardiac adverse risk. Quoting Dr. Deeb:

Patients need to know that long-term animal studies did not show [cardiovascular risk] to be a problem [from use of lispro].

When I look at the overall picture, I have no concern about using lispro in terms of any adverse effects on the heart.

For additional information, see Eli Lilly's response to questions about Humalog and cardiac problems.