Question:

I am a 49 year old with Type 1 diabetes for 32 years. I have used the pump for 13 years. I started using lispro insulin (Humalog) yesterday [October 3, 1996] and I am trying to find any information on using Humalog in a pump (the use of Humalog in a pump is not yet approved by the FDA but I am not waiting for that). Do you know of any resources on the internet that I could get information from?

Answer:

My office has several pump patients now on lispro, and it works very well, but you have very little leeway to err, since the product has such very short duration.

There's an interesting Editorial reply to a reader's letter about this, in the October 1996 issue of the Diabetes Forecast.

For more informtion, also see Comments about the Use of Lispro Insulin, especially noting the following:

Although lispro works very well in insulin pumps, we strongly advise that pump patients should not switch to lispro without long discussions with a diabetes educator who know about both insulin pumps and lispro insulin!

Also see a previous question about using lispro in a pump.

WWQ