Question:

From New York, USA:

I have IDDM, and will soon be "celebrating" my 26th year with it. I am reasonably well controlled (last A1c was 7.2) but would like better control and less highs and lows. I am thinking of going on an insulin pump. I've contacted both MiniMed and Disetronic and reviewed their literature. I've also read a book entitled "Pumping Insulin" which gave many nuts and bolts instructions. My question is this: Is there any source that compares and contrasts the efficacy of the two pumps? Is one really the same as the other? How does one choose one model over another?

Answer:

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Dr. O'Brien:

There is not a great deal to choose between the MiniMed and the Disetronic pumps. In this country most people use the MiniMed because it is manufactured here and because it is less vulnerable to electromagnetic interference and has a more sensitive alarm for needle obstruction. In Europe the Swiss-made Disetronic pump is more used. If you want a dispassionate professional evaluation you might call Mountain Aero Medical at 916-988-7006, P.O. Box 1365, Shingle Springs,CA 95682.

DO'B

Answer from Dr. Quick:

For additional information:

1. We have answered numerous questions about insulin pumps previously.
  2. Be sure to look at the discussions of insulin pumps at children with DIABETES.

WWQ

Updated January 16, 2006