I am a physical education teacher and a type I diabetic. This year I have a kindergarten student who is also a type I diabetic. We do not have a full time nurse in the building so many times when people have questions if the nurse is not available folks tend to come to me.

I am very concerned that his is not being cared for appropriately. His classroom teacher often forgets to have him go to the nurse or me to be tested at the appointed time, and his numbers seem a little high to me.

Are the desired blood glucose levels for children the same as for adults, or are they different? He is often in the mid to high 200's at 11 A.M. and on one occasion was slightly over 300. This youngster is wonderful, and I would hate to see him develop complications as he gets older.

I am pleased that you are helping to look after this child in your kindergarten. In fact you are correct in your supposition that blood sugar targets are a little higher for young children than for older kids and adults. The risks of severe hypoglycaemia in this age group are probably more severe and almost certainly represent a higher risk than those associated with slightly higher sugars over a relatively short time.

Having thought about your concerns, I suppose that my main message would be that you should discuss any concerns that you may have about this child's care with his own teacher and then perhaps with his parents. They may have decided their own plan regarding blood sugars at school, etc. and it would be better to follow this.