Question:

From America OnLine:

I am a 14 year old who is thinking of getting an insulin pump. My parents are concerned because I play sports including baseball and basketball. They would not be so concerned but I am a catcher I and was wondering what would happen if someone ran into me or I slid on my stomach? Can I wear the pump during a game?

Answer:

You can have a 'quick release' on the pump so that you can take it off whilst you are involved in sports. You still have the needle and its connection; but you can protect that and many young people do play basketball and baseball with this arrangement. What you also have to do is calculate the amount of insulin the pump would have given if you had left it on, halve it and give this in small supplementary pushes (one at the start of the game, one at the end and one an hour later).

Remember too, that there are other ways to go and it could be that you will get just as good control with the new insulins and three or four shots a day.

DO'B