Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

My son is 7 and a half months old. He has slowly been losing weight, drowsy at times and is unable to tolerate his food, and breastfeeding without vomiting up a good portion of his intake. He weighs 13 pounds 12 ounces at this age, but before he started on solid food, at 4 months, he weighed 14 pounds 4 ounces. My family doctor feels he might have a cardiac sphincter incompetence causing his vomiting, but he doesn't seem to be absorbing nutrients from his food. He is an active baby who is crawling, turning over, and sitting with only occasional support needed.

I would appreciate an opinion as to whether I should be asking my doctor to test for diabetes?

Answer:

Any infant who now weighs less than he did three and a half months ago has something wrong. Probably the most unlikely diagnosis, from what you say, is diabetes. The sphincter that your doctor talked about is the "valve" at the junction between his gullet and stomach and many babies have a problem here that allows food to reflux back up the gullet. Vomiting has to be fairly severe, however, to affect weight gain. You don't say anything about your son's stools but you may be right in suspecting that he's not absorbing the nutrients from his food properly.

His symptoms may turn out to be mild and self-limiting but I think that he should be reviewed by a paediatrician.