From America OnLine:

I am a 14 year old who is thinking of getting an insulin pump. I am not sure if I want to get something that will be useless in less than a year. How close are they from getting something better?

You don't say why you are thinking of getting a pump but you are wrong to suggest that pumps will be useless in less than a year. It is true to say that they are probably less popular in your age group than they have been but there are still plenty of patients who find that a pump offers them freedom from fixed injection and meal times. Of course, you can get quite a lot of leeway in these aspects of diabetes by moving to a basal-bolus regimen which involves regular before each meal and NPH at night (or other programs).

I think that it will be at least 10 years before there are any other reliable ways of giving insulin other than by injection or by pump, so you should speak to your diabetes team about the best option to suit your lifestyle.