Question:

I have a friend who is 25 and was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 15 years old. He is on insulin injections 4 times a day. One night while he was sleeping, his body started shaking like he was having a seizure. I tried to wake him, but it was really difficult. This lasted for about 5 minutes. He finally woke up and took a glucose tablet. About two hours later, the same thing happen again. He did not remember the second attack.

What could have caused this to happen? Is this harmful to him? Should he see his doctor about this? I'm very concerned about him.

Answer:

Sounds like your friend might have been having nocturnal insulin reactions. To treat them and to prevent recurrence that same night, be sure to use sugar and to add some protein (or some of the new products like NiteBite Snack Bars and Zbar Snack Bars) to help keep the sugar up.

Other symptoms of sleeping through insulin reactions include restlessness, and profuse sweating.

The best way to be sure would have been to check his blood sugar at the moment (which admittedly might be difficult to do). As a substitute, plan to check some blood sugars on the next few nights at about the same time, even if there are no symptoms, and see what sort of numbers show up.

WWQ