From New Jersey, USA:

I am a registered dietitian and diabetes educator for a community health education department. I recently contacted a high school nurse about a 14 year old high school boy who has had diabetes for about 7 years. His diabetes has been very poorly controlled and his situation has been complicated by the fact that he is from a family with very limited finaces. He frequently arrives at school without having had breakfast and of course becomes hypoglycemic. I believe he is eligible for school breakfast and lunch, so we are working that out.

My interest is in resources that would appeal to him as a teenage boy. I know he loves sports and was recently told he couldn't play football due to his poor control, so I think he will be pretty motivated. I suspect, although I haven't met him yet, the problem may be related more to the fact that there just isn't always food for him to eat. Also I seem to remember Diabetes Forecast ran some information some time ago on resources for teaching school personnel about diabetes. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Any information you could pass along would be very much appreciated.

Three thoughts:

1. The American Diabetes Association has a new pamphlet for school staff.
  2. Read In Control: A guide for Teens with Diabetes by Jean Betschart, MN, RN, CDE and Susan Thom, RD, LD, CDE.

Be aware, it's hard to get through to teens like this: don't step on his or his family's toes!