From America On-Line:

My wife and myself are planning to have a child in the near future. My wife is a Type 1 diabetic and what we are wondering is, are there hospitals or clinics that allow the diabetic to stay in the hospital during the entire time of pregnancy? As a place that then will have exercise programs, dietitians that prepare all the meals, nurses to do all the blood work, self monitoring to ensure the unborn child has the lowest possible chance of contracting diabetes. Along with new treatment advances that the hospital or clinic incorporates into the program.

It's really not necessary to incur the huge expense and the equally huge inconvenience of prolonged hospitalization in order to obtain an excellent outcome for a pregnancy for a woman with diabetes.

Yes, indeed, there's work involved in getting through a diabetic pregnancy. Your wife should aim for a normal glycohemoglobin before pregnancy, and try to maintain it throughout the pregnancy. Her insulin doses will increase substantially as the pregnancy goes along, and she'll have to plan on at least four blood sugar tests daily. She should be under the care of an experienced obstetrician, and an experienced diabetes team.

If she's as motivated as it seems from your letter, the pregnancy should go just fine.

Finally, here are some other webpages that discuss diabetes and pregnancy: