Question:

Are you familiar with Chelation Therapy as a means of improving a diabetic condition? If so, what is your opinion?

Answer:

Yes, I've heard the claims, and reviewed some of the arguments. And my opinion is very strong on this.

Chelation, which uses medications such as EDTA to bond with heavy metals in the bloodstream, can be used to remove lead and mercury in cases of poisonings, but can also "cause kidney failure, reduce bone marrow, cause shock, create dangerously low blood pressure, set off convulsions, disrupt heart rhythms" (from an article in the Kansas City Star, October 20, 1996, page A-25, by Scott Canon).

There is no acceptable scientific proof that chelation therapy is worthwhile for diabetes.

WWQ