Question:

From Microsoft Network:

I'm 48 years old, diagnosed 3 years ago. I don't know the difference between type I and II. I take pills for control. I've had 2 back operations in the past year. Since my second surgery, my blood sugar levels are all over the place. My morning fasting numbers are often 155 to 200. If I go all day without eating I can keep my levels down, but if I eat anything my sugars go up again. I never eat sweets or sugar. I don't lose weight even when I don't eat. My doctor (family internist) doesn't seemed terribly concerned or able to answer some of my questions. I hate being fat. I weight 243 lbs. and am 5' 7" tall. I'm definitely overweight, but as I said, I don't eat and still don't lose weight. I take 5 mg. of Glucotrol [glipizide, a sulfonylurea Ed] in A.M. and 2 1/2 at night. Sometime after dinner (we often eat late) my numbers are 300-400. I'm confused, scared, and tired of being heavy. Can you help me? Please!

Answer:

You've got a handful. Several thoughts:

1. If you haven't reported these blood sugar levels to your internist, you've got to do so, promptly! (There are many other treatment options besides the pill your doctor has recommended, and you should be looking at these other options now.)
  2. Have you asked your internist for a referral to a diabetes team? (You need help from a dietitian, a diabetes nurse specialist, and last, but certainly not least, a sympathetic physician.)
  3. If your doctor refuses to answer your questions, change physicians.
  4. If you've already seen a diabetes team, either go back to them, or ask for a referral to a different team.
  5. If your doctor refuses to refer you to a diabetes team, change physicians.
  6. If your doctor refuses to refer you to a diabetes team, call the local chapter of the American Diabetes Association to find a nearby diabetes education program that's been "Recognized" by the ADA, or another diabetes program that they know and can recommend.

WWQ