Question:

From America On-Line:

I have a really great coworker who uses the MiniMed pump successfully. She really likes it except that she tells me the injections really hurt her. Is there a prescription or over the counter numbing agent that could help her through this difficult time? I have seen some topicals used in Emergency Rooms prior to IV or Heplock insertions that help patients receive the needle easier.

Answer:

Various methods that help with routine needlesticks should also work with needle insertions:

• Skin-freezing sprays of ethyl chloride
  • Ice cubes applied to the skin
  • Emlar cream (should be applied 1/2 hour before; very expensive)
  • Solarcaine

Also, if she hasn't tried the Tender 2 infusion sets from Disetronic, she should.

Finally, she could call both pump manufacturers, and ask them for advice.

SS