My 6 year old son has the following symptoms:

• occasionally remarks he has white spots in front of his eyes.
  • After urinating completely he complains that he feels as if he still has more to do, although he can't. He doesn't have frequent urination problem and does not have to get up in the night to go.
  • he sure craves his ice cream.

We had a blood and urine test done about a year ago and everything was normal.

My wife was gestational diabetic when pregnant with all three of our children and required insulin daily for the second half of all three pregnancies. She had the most trouble during the pregnancy with this particular son.

I am assuming that the reason for your question is that you are concerned that your 6 year old son might have diabetes because of the symptoms you describe and because of your wife's gestational diabetes. The first thing to do would be to test your son's urine for sugar and perhaps a fasting blood sample for glucose using a test strip. Possibly these materials are still on hand from the time your wife was on insulin.

If these tests are negative, it is quite possible that with the reassurance both your anxiety and his symptoms will disappear. If they do not, then the next step is to discuss with his pediatrician or your family doctor whether further examination by an ophthalmologist or whether a procedure such as a voiding cysto-urethrogram might be indicated.