From Texas, USA:

I am sorry to bother you, but I don't know where else to turn for answers. I have been on the web for 3 hours now trying to find a copy of the Diabetes Diet that was given to me when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. I am 22 years old, and obese, and my obstetrician said that if I didn't lose my weight now, I'd end up with permanent diabetes by age 35. I am scared to death of the mere thought!

Anyway, my OB is in North Carolina, and I now reside in Texas. Can you please tell me where on the web a copy of this diet is hidden?

There is an increased risk for development of Type 2 diabetes if you previously had Gestational Diabetes. Although it is not a sure thing you will develop diabetes, the advice your doctor gave you about losing weight is the best thing you can do to help prevent it.

As far as the "diabetic diet" that was given to you, this could vary greatly depending on your situation. If you are serious about losing the weight, I would strongly encourage you to contact your local dietetic association for a referral to a Registered Dietitian that specializes in weight loss counseling. She can develop a plan, with your input, that best suites your needs. This plan will probably include some type of caloric reduction (whether you use an Exchange system, most likely the type you were on during pregnancy, or reduce the amount of fat intake) and a regular exercise program in order to be successful. As far as commercial programs, Weight Watchers is helpful for some people and it has a built in social support network.

Good luck with your weight loss endeavor. It is not an easy task but the benefits are very worthwhile.