Question:

From Ireland:

I am a 25-year-old white female with Type 1 diabetes (diagnosed when I was 8) and hyperthyroidism. I have a severe goiter and my eyes are "popping."

I am currently taking four shots per day (three short-acting and one long-acting) and I am on propylthiouracil (PTU) [a medication for hyperthyroidism, Ed.], and other two medications for the thyroid.

My question is this: at the moment, neither my diabetes nor my hyperthyroidism is well controlled. Any suggestions? I would like to find as much information as possible on treatments and current research. Any ideas?

Concerned reader (mccann1@indigo.ie)

Answer:

Get the thyroid disorder under control first, then it'll be a lot easier to get the diabetes straightened out. The PTU medication should be able to control the situation without additional drugs, and if it isn't, the dose will need adjustment, or you should consider alternative therapy for the hyperthyroidism, such as radioactive iodine ablation of the thyroid gland. If you are not currently under the care of an endocrinologist, ask for a referral to visit one. This sort of situation is way too complicated for a general physician to be able to sort out.

We have previously answered several other questions about the thyroid gland, including one that lists resources about thyroid disorders.

WWQ