Question:

Do you know what the approximate percentages are that a Type 1 diabetic father and a non-diabetic mother with no history of Type 1 diabetes in their families will have a child with diabetes? Say, if they had only one, that is. I am sort of curious. I had heard it was low, but I wasn't for sure.

Answer:

The risk of developing Type 1 diabetes is:

• General population 0.4%
  • Offspring of diabetic father 6.1%
  • Offspring of diabetic mother 2%
  • Offspring of diabetic mother more than 25 years old at birth 1.1%
  • Offspring of diabetic mother less than 25 years old at birth 3.6%
  • Offspring if both diabetic parents 30%

The American Diabetes Association has additional information about the genetics of diabetes.

Sources:

1. Spielman RS, Bair MP,Clerget-Darpoux F., Genetic Analysis of IDDM: summary of GAW5 IDDM results, Genet. Epidemiol. 1989;6:43-58
  2. Thomson G, Robinson WP, Kuhner MK et al. Genetic heterogeneity, modes of inheritance adn risk estimates for a joint study of caucasians with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, Am. J. Hum. Genet. 1988;43:799-816

JSH