Question:

From Canada:

My wife is diabetic and she is very limited as to what she can eat, especially in terms of dessert. I feel uncomfortable, when I can eat ice cream and pies, while my wife cannot eat those desserts. what kind of dessert could my wife eat?

I would like my wife to be able to eat the sweet things I eat; however, I do not want my wife to be sick. How do I balance the two?

Answer:

Many desserts will affect blood glucose levels; however, this does not mean your wife can not eat them. In order to have blood sugar levels remain stable the desserts will have to be worked into a meal plan. This meal plan can vary depending on many factors (height, weight, type of diabetes, etc.). I would encourage you and your wife to set up an appointment with a Registered Dietitian in your area so she can assist you in developing a meal plan to suit your needs. Then, on occasion, your wife can enjoy the same desserts you do without compromising her blood sugar control.

MH