Question:

From Toronto, Canada:

We are planning a trip from Toronto, Canada to Turkey for June, 1997. We have an 8 year old daughter who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in June, 1996. As we are making our plans we have been told that we must have access to an international doctor. Is this true?

Answer:

I have never before heard of the requirement to identify a doctor before travelling abroad. This seems ridiculous for a condition like diabetes although I could understand it if a patient in renal failure required regular dialysis.

The only sensible advice that I can offer is that the family take double the amount of supplies with them that they will need for the trip, make sure that they have adequate medical insurance and inform the airline about the diabetes. They should also have a letter authorising the carrying of insulin, syringes and needles.

Also, see previous questions about traveling with diabetes, Traveling with Diabetes, and Your Traveling Medical Record.