Question:

Several weeks ago I took a 3 hour glucose tolerance test (with 75 grams of sugar), and was told I had diabetes. My reading three hours after eating was 190, and an hour later dropped to 150. Well, I repeated the test several times and the results confuse me. Several times taking a glucose test on different days, the numbers would be anywhere from 165 to 190, 3 hours after a meal, the amazing thing is I would take the test again after 45 min to 1 hour and the results would be down to 100 to 110. It seems that my body reacts quickly after a certain time, and this is everytime. Is this normal to have this delayed reaction? If I was to take my blood sugar before breakfast and before dinner, my numbers would be between 70 and 110 never higher, its when I take it 2 to 3 hours after a meal there elevated.

Answer:

Well, you've certainly learned personally what the endocrinologists always say: the GTT is highly variable from day to day! It sounds like you are doing home sugar testing also, and I would strongly advise you to keep track of your own blood sugar levels, before and/or after normal meals, and get occasional glycohemoglobin levels, rather than doing more GTT's.

It's no surprise that someone with diabetes may still have elevated blood sugar values three hours after eating, which would come down an hour later.

WWQ